The Old Pinza Road
Garda Trentino Verified partner Explorers Choice
mountain hike at Lake Garda: The Old Pinza RoadVideo: Outdooractive – 3D Videos
Itinerary that follows the signed path 402 from Bocca di Trat, at the border with Valle di Ledro, to Riva del Garda along one of the historic roads of Garda Trentino
If you want to get back to where you started from, after the first stage of Garda Trek, this route, all downhill, is the quickest way back to Riva del Garda, passing through the town of Campi and then through the woods. You can also do this trek uphill.
Once you get to Parisi, a detour along the Garda Trek Medium Loop will take you to the San Martino archaeological site. A path through the woods, where you will come across strange figures sculpted in wood, takes you to the higher area of the site. Here excavations uncovered a place of worship dating back to Pre-Roman times, which was converted into a Roman sanctuary, with the addition of a monumental staircase which can still be used today. This building, perched at the edge of the cliff, offers a breathtaking view over the towns beneath. Another few minutes and you come to the ruins of a village abandoned due to fire in the 8th century A.D.
To return to Riva, follow directions for the Garda Trek Medium Loop as far as the town of Campi. Cross the road and rejoin the trail SAT 4012 in the lower part of the town.
Capanna Grassi, about an hour from the mountain hut Rifugio Pernici, has been popular for years with lovers of traditional Trento cuisine and here you will find all the typical local specialities
Rest stopsRifugio Capanna Grassi
Rifugio Nino Pernici
- Choose itineraries that suit your physical and technical abilities. Collect information about the area you are visiting and the trail’s conditions and get a detailed trekking map.
- Wear clothes and take equipment that suit the difficulty and length of your tour. Keep emergency gear in your rucksack, including first aid supplies.
- Do not go walking alone in the mountains. In any case, tell someone where you are going and report back on returning.
- Look at the weather forecast before setting off and always keep an eye on the weather.
- In case of doubt, go back. It is better to give up than risk bad weather or face difficulties beyond your strength, ability and equipment.
- Do not leave marked paths and do not take shortcuts.
- All described walks are in a natural environment and therefore their use is at your own risk.
This information is subject to inevitable variations, so none of these indications are absolute. It is not entirely possible to avoid giving inexact or imprecise information, given how quickly environmental and weather conditions can change. For this reason, we decline any responsibility for changes which the user may encounter. In any case, it is advisable to check environment and weather conditions before setting out.
Tips and hints
For more information on routes, services (guides, mountain huts, shops etc.) and hiking friendly accommodation: Garda Trentino - +39 0464 554444
When you leave the mountain hut, take the trail SAT 402: this itinerary follows it almost all of the way. At the start you can also take SAT 402A, a sort of shortcut which rejoins 402 a short way from the mountain hut. It is only a few minutes from there to Malga Dosso de' Fiori (the building is derelict, but stop a moment to look at the majestic beech trees behind the house) and then continue on down through the beechwood until you come out onto the meadows around Capanna Grassi. Keep on going on SAT 402 until you come to the town of Campi, passing the chapel of San Rocco, and shortly afterwards, on a bend on the road, yo come to the start of the old Pinza road. Stay on SAT 402, pass the ruins of San Giovanni and the chapel of Santa Maria Maddalena, and head on down through the pine forest until you come to the junction with SAT 404. From here it is a detour of just a few minutes to Bastione. Continue on down the paved lane and you will shortly find yourself back in Via Monte Oro.
Valle di Ledro is connected to Riva del Garda by the intercity bus line 214 (Riva-Valle di Ledro-Storo). The nearest bus stop to the path to Rifugio Nino Pernici is "Lenzumo".
Up-to-date information on timetables and routes.
How to get to Rifugio Nino Pernici:
- from Lenzumo at 796 m a.s.l. in Val Concei, by road for 7 km as far as the Trat pasture 1556 m, trail number 403, then along the trail for 20 minutes; on foot 2 h 15;
- from Riva del Garda 73 m, trail number 402, passing through Santa Maria Maddalena 252 m, San Giovanni 440 m, Pinza, Campi 672 m, Rifugio Grass hut 1055 m, Dosso dei Fiori pasture 1355 m, Bocca di Trat 1581 m - 4h 15min (1h 30min from Grassi hut, which you can reach by 14 km of road)
Find out how to reach Garda Trentino.
Available parking place near Malga Trat.
Author’s map recommendations
Garda Trentino TREKKING Map – Available in the info points of Garda Trentino (Riva del Garda, Arco, Torbole sul Garda, Ledro, Comano Terme)
Book recommendations for this region:
Recommended maps for this region:
You need to wear the right clothing and take the proper gear when you go hiking in the mountains. Even on relatively short easy outings make sure to take all you need so you don't run into trouble if things take an unexpected turn, for example a storm blows up or you have a sudden drop in energy levels.
What should you take when you go on a hike?
Your rucksack (for a day trip a 25/30L capacity should do) should contain:
- water canteen (1L)
- snacks (e.g. mixed dried fruit or chocolate)
- First aid kit
- windproof jacket
- change of t-shirt and socks (in a plastic bag)
- make sure to wear or at least bring a pair of long trousers
- sun screen
- whistle to attract attention in an emergency
Make sure you're wearing the right footwear for the trail and season. The going can get rough and rocky underfoot and a pair of hiking boots will protect you from sprains. When wet, a grassy slope, rocky slab or steep trail can be dangerous unless you are wearing the proper footwear.
And finally... don't forget to bring your camera! You'll need it to capture the stunning views you come across all over Garda Trentino. And if you like, you can share your memories with us at #GardaTrentino.
Emergency telephone number 112.
- 4 Waypoints
- 4 Waypoints
Questions and answers
Would you like to the ask the author a question?
Help others by being the first to add a review.
Photos from others