The ascent which takes you from the olive groves of Arco towards Padaro is a tough one. Stretches of dirt road and cement road alternate and the gradient can exceed 20% in places. Then there is a long stretch with a gradient of close to 10% before continuing the climb on a well-tended forestry trail.
The first stretch of the descent is quite technical, initially on a rocky surface, loose in points and with some steps. Then the surface becomes gradually smoother and more stable with a series of sharp narrow turns. Once you get past this point, there are no more particularly technical parts and you will cover several stretches on paved road punctuated by some short ascents. Given the weather conditions of recent years, this trail is open all year round. If you have a limited supply of water on the uphill stretch, you are advised to fill up at the fountain you will find at the entrance to the village of Padaro.
Rest stopsMONTE CALINO "SAN PIETRO"
Canale di Tenno medieval village
Rifugio San Pietro
NOTE: There is a downhill run on this trail only suited to expert bikers!
BIKER’S CODE OF RESPONSIBILITY
- Plan your ride
- Share the trail with other users
- Yield right of way to hikers
- Let your speed be determined by your experience
- Ride slowly on crowded trails, overtake with politeness and respect
- Cycle only on authorized and open trails
- Avoid muddy trails in order not to damage them further
- Respect nature, plants, animals and the trail
- Do not frighten animals
- Take your rubbish home with you
- Respect public and private property
- Always be selfsufficient
- Do not cycle solo in remote areas
- Take back home only good pics
ALWAYS WEAR YOUR HELMET!
Suggestions taken from NORBA and IMBA codes of conduct.
The information on this chart is subject to inevitable variations, so this means that none of the indications are absolute. It is not entirely possible to avoid giving inexact or imprecise information, given how quickly environmental and weather conditions can change. For this reason we decline any responsibility for changes which the user may encounter. In any case, the hiker is advised to check the conditions of the places, environment and weather before setting out.
Tips and hints
- This is an official route of the Garda Trentino Provincial Network of MTB routes, regularly maintained and accompanied by specific signage.
For more information on routes and bike services: rentals, workshops, shops and cycling friendly accommodation - APT Garda Trentino Tel. +39 0464 554444
- The texts relating to the route described in this sheet have been produced by Marco Giacomello, mountain bike guide.
Getting to northern lake Garda / Garda Trentino
Free parking in Caneve (5 min. walk from the town centre.
Further Pay parking: Foro Boario parking, via Caproni Maini (Car park near the bridge), Post office (Via Monache).
Author’s map recommendations
Book recommendations for this region:
Recommended maps for this region:
Riding your bike requires specific clothing and equipment, even for relatively short and easy trips. It is always better to be prepared… e.g. for bad weather or a drop your energy levels. The unexpected things also make up a part of the fun!
Remember to throughly evaluate the type of route you plan to do, the locations you plan to cross and the current season. Has it been raining? Attention: The paths may be slippery and require more caution.
What do I need to bring on my bike tour?
- An adequate water supply according to your needs (considering temperature, possibility of refuelling and duration of the route)
- Plenty of snacks (for example, dried fruit or energy bars)
- Waterproof / Windproof jacket.
- A spare top / spare socks. (Descending in a sweaty garment, will make you cold)
- Bike gloves/mitts
- Map or GPS device
- Bike lights: best placed on your helmet or handlebars. (It is always best to be prepared)
- Bike repair kit for punctures and mechanical breakdowns
- First aid kit
- Emergency whistle
It is always advised to let someone know where you plan to go and how long you expect to be.
Emergency telephone number 112