SUP TOUR: 7. Lago di Ledro
Garda Trentino Verified partner Explorers Choice
Around Lake Ledro by SUPPhoto: Archivio Garda Trentino (ph. Watchsome), Garda Trentino
Lake Ledro is not only famous for its shimmering turquoise waters but also for the UNESCO heritage site Bronze Age pile dwelling.
Lake Ledro is a great natural swimming pool 650 m above sea level where you can paddle your SUP in freedom.
To go around the lake you can start out from any of the four beaches (Molina di Ledro, Mezzolago, Pieve di Ledro and Pur): the Molina beach was chosen for its easy access.
The panorama is breathtaking and there are numerous bays and inlets in natural surroundings where you can go in on your board and find utter peace and tranquillity. It is extremely rare that the wind conditions create any difficulties for paddling but if the length of the tour becomes a problem, you can always stop off at one of the beaches.
Lake Ledro owes its origins to a morainic barrage during the fourth ice age. In 1929, when the level of the lake was lowered for hydroelectric work, a pile dwelling settlement came to light which dates back to the Bronze Age and is now a UNESCO heritage site.
It is well worth visiting the nearby Museo delle Palafitte del Lago di Ledro where, along with the village of pile dwellings, you can see what life was like 4000 years ago.
Track typesShow elevation profile
- Inform yourself about wind, water, and weather conditions. In a short time, the wind can change, the swell can increase, and it can start to rain, even with thunderstorms. For this reason, it is important be able to swim even in rough water.
- Inform yourself about local regulations. When in doubt, ask for the advice of specialised guides and local people.
- In case of solo trips, inform someone about your planned itinerary and departure time.
- Only use boats and gear appropriate to your abilities and wear a CE certified lifejacket.
- Maintain the safety distance from public transportation crafts, respect right of way rules and do not cross the course of motorboats to avoid accidents and fines.
- When stand up paddling, always attach your leash, never leave your board, and keep a distance of 500 m from the shore and cliffs from which rocks could break off.
The information on this chart is subject to inevitable variations, so this means that none of the indications are absolute. It is not entirely possible to avoid giving inexact or imprecise information, given how quickly environmental and weather conditions can change. For this reason we decline any responsibility for changes which the user may encounter. In any case, the hiker is advised to check the conditions of the places, environment and weather before setting out.
Tips and hints
This tour was recommended by SUP Club Riva del Garda.
For further information about sports friendly accommodation, contact details for SUP hire, guides and useful information: Garda Trentino - +39 0464 554444
From the car park it is only a couple of minutes to the beach Spiaggia di Besti. Once you get to the beach, just put your board in the water and paddle along the shore of Lake Ledro until you have done a complete lap, clockwise or anti-clockwise, passing Mezzolago, Pieve di Ledro and Pur and then coming back to Molina di Ledro.
There are buoys to mark the archaeological site in front of museum and the area in front of the intake for the pipes feeding the Hydroelectric power plant of Riva del Garda.
Valle di Ledro is connected to Riva del Garda by the intercity bus line 214 (Riva-Valle di Ledro-Storo).
Up-to-date information on timetables and routes.
For arrive to Lago di Ledro, take the road statale SS 240 in direction Valle di Ledro (10 Km fromRiva del Garda).
Find out how to reach Garda Trentino.
Free parking "Besta 2" along the SS240 road or for a fee at the Molina beach.
In spring and summer you are advised to wear a semi-drysuit, in summer all you need is a swimsuit and lycra suit. You always need to wear a life jacket.
Questions and answers
Would you like to the ask the author a question?
Help others by being the first to add a review.
Photos from others