The Rothorn Hut at the foot of the Zinalrothorn is a popular starting point for ascents of various attractive peaks including the Zinalrothorn, Obergabelhorn, Wellenkuppe, Trifthorn and Aeschhorn. After the Viehboden area, hikers leave the gentle world of the lush alpine pastures to enter a mysterious landscape carved by glaciers long ago, formed of stone, rock, ice and snow. Here, hikers should keep an eye on the sky above: a pair of eagles can often be seen circling overhead.
- Abundant wildlife including chamois
- Eagles in the region
- Alpine flora: alpine toadflax may be spotted among the scree, providing orange-and-violet splashes of colour
- Plan every mountain tour carefully and adapt to participants’ fitness level as well as the weather and season.
- Weather conditions can change quickly in the mountains. Appropriate clothing is therefore essential, along with adequate supplies of food and water. In uncertain weather, turn back in good time.
- Inform others of planned route, and whenever possible avoid going alone.
- Do not leave the marked routes; do not venture onto glaciers without a mountain guide.
- Please be considerate to other walkers and to plants and animals.
- Take note of the warning signs drawing attention to the constant danger in river beds and along watercourses below dams and reservoirs.
Getting thereZermatt is car-free. Private vehicles are permitted only as far as Täsch (5 km before Zermatt). The Täsch–Zermatt road is closed to the public.
Onward travel to Zermatt is either by private taxi or shuttle train. Trains depart every 20 minutes; the journey takes about 12 minutes, and ends at the Bahnhofplatz in Zermatt.
ParkingTäsch has car parks with both covered and open-air parking – e.g. at the Matterhorn Terminal or privately operated facilities.
Onward travel: see “Getting there”.
Author’s map recommendations
- Good footwear
- Hiking poles (optional)
- Clothing suitable for the weather (always carry a waterproof)
Important! A good head for heights, a sure foot and mountain experience are needed