This tough trail is suitable for experienced mountain hikers in good physical shape. The route entails an ascent of 1,774 vertical metres – but the climb is well worth the effort.
Distance 21.6 km
The Weisshorn Hut stands on a crag offering glorious views of the nearby south-east face of the Weisshorn (4,506 m) along with 18 other peaks above 4,000 m. The cosy mountain hut run by the Basel section of the Swiss Alpine Club (SAC) is a popular base for mountaineers planning ambitious climbs such as the extremely demanding ascent of the Weisshorn. The hike up to the hut and back down to the valley requires a high level of fitness as well as good knees.
The clos enough to touch southeast wall of the Weisshorn pyramid is particularly impressive.
Updated: June 01, 2021
- Plan every mountain tour carefully and adapt to participants’ fitness level as well as the weather and season.
- Weather conditions can change quickly in the mountains. Appropriate clothing is therefore essential, along with adequate supplies of food and water. In uncertain weather, turn back in good time.
- Inform others of planned route, and whenever possible avoid going alone.
- Do not leave the marked routes; do not venture onto glaciers without a mountain guide.
- Please be considerate to other walkers and to plants and animals.
- Take note of the warning signs drawing attention to the constant danger in river beds and along watercourses below dams and reservoirs.
Getting thereThe drive from Visp to Randa takes about 30–40 min. The road leads through the wild and beautiful Mattertal valley.
ParkingThere is a public multi-storey car park by the railway station in Randa; simply follow the signs.
32T 405830 5105887
Author’s map recommendations
- Good footwear
- Hiking poles (optional)
- Clothing suitable for the weather (always carry a waterproof)
Duration : h
Highest point m
Lowest point m
Push the arrows to change the view