Anyone visiting Zermatt for the first time will marvel at the Gourmetweg (Gourmet Path), which leads past numerous mountain restaurants with a global reputation.
Distance 9 km
All along this trail, hikers repeatedly face a quandary: stop for a bite or keep walking? To maximise freedom of choice, it’s best to allow a lot of time for this walk – ideally the whole day. The mountain restaurants en route serve top-class cuisine and delicious local specialities, and all boast inviting sun terraces ideal for soaking up the spectacular panoramic views at leisure.
Although there are many restaurants along the trail, walkers should bring drinking water. A glass or two of wine at the restaurant will bring on a thirst on the way home.
Update: November 13, 2020
- Plan every mountain tour carefully and adapt to participants’ fitness level as well as the weather and season.
- Weather conditions can change quickly in the mountains. Appropriate clothing is therefore essential, along with adequate supplies of food and water. In uncertain weather, turn back in good time.
- Inform others of planned route, and whenever possible avoid going alone.
- Do not leave the marked routes; do not venture onto glaciers without a mountain guide.
- Please be considerate to other walkers and to plants and animals.
- Take note of the warning signs drawing attention to the constant danger in river beds and along watercourses below dams and reservoirs.
Getting thereZermatt is car-free. Private vehicles are permitted only as far as Täsch (5 km before Zermatt). The Täsch–Zermatt road is closed to the public.
Onward travel to Zermatt is either by private taxi or shuttle train. Trains depart every 20 minutes; the journey takes about 12 minutes, and ends at the Bahnhofplatz in Zermatt.
ParkingTäsch has car parks with both covered and open-air parking – e.g. at the Matterhorn Terminal or privately operated facilities.
Onward travel: see “Getting there”.
32T 404815 5096669
Book recommendation by the author
Author’s map recommendations
- Good footwear
- Hiking poles (optional)
- Clothing suitable for the weather (always carry a waterproof)
- Sun cream and sun glasses for the sun terrace in the mountain restaurants
Duration : h
Highest point m
Lowest point m
Push the arrows to change the view