This path leads mainly through typical mountain forest. At times, it reveals views of the Matterhorn and the green rise of the Schafberg, where the gondolas of the Matterhorn Express glide up to the heights. With the warmth of the sunshine, the trees – gnarled Swiss stone pine trees and arrow-straight larches – release a soothing scent. Whenever a breeze blows, the sound of rustling pine and larch needles fills the air.
Anyone seeking relaxation or an opportunity for quiet contemplation will enjoy the pure air and mountain light, the scent of resin and of the forest floor, and the whispering of the trees.
- Nature reserve: roe deer may be seen.
- Chance to spot nutcrackers, typical birds of the mountain forests
Rest StopAl Bosco - - Riffelalp Resort 2222 m.ü.M.
- Plan every mountain tour carefully and adapt to participants’ fitness level as well as the weather and season.
- Weather conditions can change quickly in the mountains. Appropriate clothing is therefore essential, along with adequate supplies of food and water. In uncertain weather, turn back in good time.
- Inform others of planned route, and whenever possible avoid going alone.
- Do not leave the marked routes; do not venture onto glaciers without a mountain guide.
- Please be considerate to other walkers and to plants and animals.
- Take note of the warning signs drawing attention to the constant danger in river beds and along watercourses below dams and reservoirs.
Getting thereZermatt is car-free. Private vehicles are permitted only as far as Täsch (5 km before Zermatt). The Täsch–Zermatt road is closed to the public.
Onward travel to Zermatt is either by private taxi or shuttle train. Trains depart every 20 minutes; the journey takes about 12 minutes, and ends at the Bahnhofplatz in Zermatt.
ParkingTäsch has car parks with both covered and open-air parking – e.g. at the Matterhorn Terminal or privately operated facilities.
Onward travel: see “Getting there”.
Author’s map recommendations
- Good footwear
- Hiking poles (optional)
- Clothing suitable for the weather (always carry a waterproof)