Take the Gornergrat Bahn up to the Gornergrat. Before heading off on the bike trail, take in the breathtaking views of the Gorner Glacier, the Matterhorn and the Alpine panorama.
From Gornergrat to Rotenboden, the trail is very technical and rocky. Experienced riders will love it. The trail then becomes a bit easier and more flowy until you get to the Riffelsee. In the famous Riffelsee, you can see the reflection of the Matterhorn. It’s a shame not to stop at this point. Once you’ve taken some photos of the Riffelsee, the bike trail continues back to Riffelberg. This section is fairly straightforward.
From Riffelberg, there is a fairly technical single trail back down to the Riffelalp. It has two or three challenging, quite exposed points which are only for experienced bikers. Otherwise, we recommend that you push your bike for a bit.
The flow returns after the Riffelalp. The Chämihitta Trail is a jewel among flow trails and leads back down to Furi. If you don't get to the end with a grin on your face, you've not done it right!
From Furi, the Moos Trail takes you back to the village.
In high season, we recommend doing the route in the early morning (until 10 a.m.) or early evening (from 4 p.m.) at these times, there are fewer hikers on the trail.
- On the Gornergrat Bahn the bike transport is limited. Information: www.gornergratbahn.ch/bike
- Tip: take the opportunity for a sunset ride
Rest StopBuffet & Bar Riffelberg
3100 Kulmhotel Gornergrat - "VIS-Ã-VIS"
3100 Kulmhotel Gornergrat - Panoramaself
Al Bosco - - Riffelalp Resort 2222 m.ü.M.
Alexandre - Riffelalp Resort 2222 m.ü.M.
Walliserkeller - Riffelalp Resort 2222 m.ü.M.
- Always wear gloves and a helmet.
- Use marked bike trails and routes only, and observe all signposting. Please close gates after passing through.
- Please be considerate to walkers and to plants and animals. As a rule, walkers have priority.
- When planning, take into account participants’ fitness level and ability: some routes lead above 3,000 metres.
- All riding is at one’s own risk.
Tip: “Be searchable”. Equip yourself with an additional RECCO rescue reflector*. Whether summer or winter. Available in our Online-Shop or our information desk.
*The additional reflector does not replace an avalanche beacon.
Tips and hintsGuidelines for Mountain Bike Riders
Zermatt is car-free. Private vehicles are permitted only as far as Täsch (5 km before Zermatt). The Täsch–Zermatt road is closed to the public.
Onward travel to Zermatt is either by private taxi or shuttle train. Trains depart every 20 minutes; the journey takes about 12 minutes, and ends at the Bahnhofplatz in Zermatt.
Täsch has car parks with both covered and open-air parking – e.g. at the Matterhorn Terminal or privately operated facilities.
Onward travel: see “Getting there”.
- Bike in excellent working order
- Helmet, gloves and (trail) bell
- Repair kit in case of any defects
- Clothing suitable for the weather (always carry a waterproof)
- Food and drink
Basic Equipment for Mountain Biking
- Cycling helmet
- Cycling gloves
- Sturdy, comfortable and preferably waterproof footwear
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket)
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
Technical Equipment for Mountain Biking
- Air pump or CO2 pump including cartridges
- Puncture repair kit
- Replacement inner tube
- Tire levers
- Chain tool
- Hex keys
- Phone / device holder as required
- Bike lock as required
- Where applicable, the bike must meet requirements for road use by having a bell, front and rear lamps and spoke reflectors
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.