The initial climb is done using the Gornergrat Bahn. When you reach the Gornergrat, you take the narrow road to the Gifthittli mountain station, past Gornergratsee, heading up toward Hohtälli (in winter, the piste goes through here). After less than three kilometres, you've already covered 350m of ascent and reached the downhill start point. Where in winter the skiers ski down the piste, there is this trail leading down to Breitboden in summer.
After Breitboden, the gravel path goes to Riffelalp and then on to Furi.
- Bike transport with the Gornergrat Bahn only up from 16.00 possible
- Tip: take the opportunity for a sunset ride
Rest Stop3100 Kulmhotel Gornergrat - "VIS-Ã-VIS"
3100 Kulmhotel Gornergrat - Panoramaself
Al Bosco - - Riffelalp Resort 2222 m.ü.M.
Alexandre - Riffelalp Resort 2222 m.ü.M.
Walliserkeller - Riffelalp Resort 2222 m.ü.M.
- Always wear gloves and a helmet.
- Use marked bike trails and routes only, and observe all signposting. Please close gates after passing through.
- Please be considerate to walkers and to plants and animals. As a rule, walkers have priority.
- When planning, take into account participants’ fitness level and ability: some routes lead above 3,000 metres.
- All riding is at one’s own risk.
Tip: “Be searchable”. Equip yourself with an additional RECCO rescue reflector*. Whether summer or winter. Available in our Online-Shop or our information desk. *The additional reflector does not replace an avalanche beacon.
Tips, hints and linksGuidelines for Mountain Bike Riders
Zermatt is car-free. Private vehicles are permitted only as far as Täsch (5 km before Zermatt). The Täsch–Zermatt road is closed to the public.
Onward travel to Zermatt is either by private taxi or shuttle train. Trains depart every 20 minutes; the journey takes about 12 minutes, and ends at the Bahnhofplatz in Zermatt.
Täsch has car parks with both covered and open-air parking – e.g. at the Matterhorn Terminal or privately operated facilities.
Onward travel: see “Getting there”.
- Bike in excellent working order
- Helmet, gloves and (trail) bell
- Repair kit in case of any defects
- Clothing suitable for the weather (always carry a waterproof)
- Food and drink