The first section is along the recently expanded trail to from Zermatt to Täsch and includes the last view of the Matterhorn. At Täsch, the beautiful Schalisee invites one to rest.
The tour continues from Randa to St. Niklaus past the massive scree from the 1991 rockslide, a view of the Bis Glacier and over field tracks.
From Kalpetran the cyclist continues along the historic road, past the still visible dry-stone walls, which are listed in Switzerland’s inventory of historic traffic routes (IVS), to Stalden. Afterwards it goes further down to Visp.
- Always wear gloves and a helmet.
- Use marked bike trails and routes only, and observe all signposting. Please close gates after passing through.
- Please be considerate to walkers and to plants and animals. As a rule, walkers have priority.
- When planning, take into account participants’ fitness level and ability: some routes lead above 3,000 metres.
- All riding is at one’s own risk.
The riding skills required are moderate over about 90% of the route. It is recommended that less skilled riders consider pushing their bikes along the more difficult sections.
Tip: “Be searchable”. Equip yourself with an additional RECCO rescue reflector*. Whether summer or winter. Available in our Online-Shop or our information desk. *The additional reflector does not replace an avalanche beacon.
Tips, hints and linksGuidelines for Mountain Bike Riders
Zermatt is car-free. Private vehicles are permitted only as far as Täsch (5 km before Zermatt). The Täsch–Zermatt road is closed to the public.
Onward travel to Zermatt is either by private taxi or shuttle train. Trains depart every 20 minutes; the journey takes about 12 minutes, and ends at the Bahnhofplatz in Zermatt.
Täsch has car parks with both covered and open-air parking – e.g. at the Matterhorn Terminal or privately operated facilities.
Onward travel: see “Getting there”.
- Bike in excellent working order
- Helmet, gloves and (trail) bell
- Repair kit in case of any defects
- Clothing suitable for the weather (always carry a waterproof)
- Food and drink