The route starts in Weiler Findeln, which is easy to reach via Sunnegga or the Four Lakes route.
Just after this, the route continues on the hiking trail that heads off to the right. This is the one that you now follow. You soon come to a rockface and it might look like you’ve taken the wrong path. However, the route doesn't go up; instead, it simply snakes along the rock and is wide enough to ride. (Remember to duck!). If you’re not keen on heights, you can push your bike at this point.
Once you've passed this section, the route goes through the wood for about two kilometres and is very flowy. You can quickly get up speed and it’s a lot of fun.
The route ends on the gravel path just before the Patrullarve lift station. From here, you can take the Sunnegga flow trail into the village.
Rest StopChez Vrony
- Always wear gloves and a helmet.
- Use marked bike trails and routes only, and observe all signposting. Please close gates after passing through.
- Please be considerate to walkers and to plants and animals. As a rule, walkers have priority.
- When planning, take into account participants’ fitness level and ability: some routes lead above 3,000 metres.
- All riding is at one’s own risk.
Tip: “Be searchable”. Equip yourself with an additional RECCO rescue reflector*. Whether summer or winter. Available in our Online-Shop or our information desk. *The additional reflector does not replace an avalanche beacon.
Tips and hintsGuidelines for Mountain Bike Riders
Zermatt is car-free. Private vehicles are permitted only as far as Täsch (5 km before Zermatt). The Täsch–Zermatt road is closed to the public.
Onward travel to Zermatt is either by private taxi or shuttle train. Trains depart every 20 minutes; the journey takes about 12 minutes, and ends at the Bahnhofplatz in Zermatt.
Täsch has car parks with both covered and open-air parking – e.g. at the Matterhorn Terminal or privately operated facilities.$
Onward travel: see “Getting there”.
- Bike in excellent working order
- Helmet, gloves and (trail) bell
- Repair kit in case of any defects
- Clothing suitable for the weather (always carry a waterproof)
- Food and drink