After Stafelalp, a gravel path heads to a power plant. The path then goes left past the plant and opens out into a narrow trail. The landscape is different here – trees give way to an emptier landscape. The bike trail heads along the moraine of the Zmutt glacier. This section of the route is quite steep, but passable for experienced bikers. You soon reach the the last section of the the route. This bit is so steep that you will need to push your bike up to the hut. However, after taking a break, the descent makes it all worthwhile.
There are two ways of reaching Stafel - you can either go from the village, or Furi, to Stafel or take the Matterhorn Express to Schwarzsee and then head down the gravel path to Stafelalp.
- This route can also be ridden on an E-Bike.
- Always wear gloves and a helmet.
- Use marked bike trails and routes only, and observe all signposting. Please close gates after passing through.
- Please be considerate to walkers and to plants and animals. As a rule, walkers have priority.
- When planning, take into account participants’ fitness level and ability: some routes lead above 3,000 metres.
- All riding is at one’s own risk.
Tip: “Be searchable”. Equip yourself with an additional RECCO rescue reflector*. Whether summer or winter. Available in our Online-Shop or our information desk. *The additional reflector does not replace an avalanche beacon.
Tips, hints and linksGuidelines for Mountain Bike Riders
Zermatt is car-free. Private vehicles are permitted only as far as Täsch (5 km before Zermatt). The Täsch–Zermatt road is closed to the public.
Onward travel to Zermatt is either by private taxi or shuttle train. Trains depart every 20 minutes; the journey takes about 12 minutes, and ends at the Bahnhofplatz in Zermatt.
Täsch has car parks with both covered and open-air parking – e.g. at the Matterhorn Terminal or privately operated facilities.
Onward travel: see “Getting there”.
- Bike in excellent working order
- Helmet, gloves and (trail) bell
- Repair kit in case of any defects
- Clothing suitable for the weather (always carry a waterproof)
- Food and drink