This hike, classified as difficult, crosses a variety of alpine landscapes. The trail initially follows the cascading Bisbach river before climbing steeper slopes into rocky terrain where hikers may need to use their hands at times. The path finally leads up slopes of scree to reach the Gross Kastel summit plateau, which rewards walkers with beautiful views.
- Summit cross
- View of Täsch, Randa, Matter valley
- Impressive view of nearby Weisshorn
- View of Brunegghorn (3,833 m)
- Plan every mountain tour carefully and adapt to participants’ fitness level as well as the weather and season.
- Weather conditions can change quickly in the mountains. Appropriate clothing is therefore essential, along with adequate supplies of food and water. In uncertain weather, turn back in good time.
- Inform others of planned route, and whenever possible avoid going alone.
- Do not leave the marked routes; do not venture onto glaciers without a mountain guide.
- Please be considerate to other walkers and to plants and animals.
- Take note of the warning signs drawing attention to the constant danger in river beds and along watercourses below dams and reservoirs.
- Beware: railway crossing
Getting thereThe drive from Visp to Randa takes about 30–40 min. The road leads through the wild and beautiful Mattertal valley.
ParkingThere is a public multi-storey car park by the railway station in Randa; simply follow the signs.
Author’s map recommendations
- Good footwear
- Hiking poles (optional)
- Clothing suitable for the weather (always carry a waterproof)
Basic Equipment for Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Blister kit
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.