The route from the Täschalp to Tufteren is one of the most beautiful hikes, high above the Matter valley. This section of the Europaweg has stunning views, running along the edge of the forest. After a 20-minute walk from the Täschalp, you’re rewarded with a view of the Matterhorn and the most fantastic panorama.
- View of the Matterhorn
- Chamois below the Ritzengrat ridge and Unterrothorn
- Täschalp: Cheese available to buy, including Swiss Ziger cheese (during the cows‘ grazing season)
Rest StopTäschalp Restaurant & Lodge
- Plan every mountain tour carefully and adapt to participants’ fitness level as well as the weather and season.
- Weather conditions can change quickly in the mountains. Appropriate clothing is therefore essential, along with adequate supplies of food and water. In uncertain weather, turn back in good time.
- Inform others of planned route, and whenever possible avoid going alone.
- Do not leave the marked routes; do not venture onto glaciers without a mountain guide.
- Please be considerate to other walkers and to plants and animals.
- Take note of the warning signs drawing attention to the constant danger in river beds and along watercourses below dams and reservoirs.
Tips, hints and linksBy taxi from Täsch to Täschalp
Getting thereThe drive from Visp to Täsch takes about 30–40 min. The road leads through the wild and beautiful Mattertal valley.
Onward journey to Täschalp by taxi or bike. Further information available from the guest information centre near Täsch railway station.
ParkingTäsch has car parks with both covered and open-air parking – e.g. at the Matterhorn Terminal or privately operated facilities.
Author’s map recommendations
- Good footwear
- Hiking poles (optional)
- Clothing suitable for the weather (always carry a waterproof)