Chamonix and Zermatt: Two names that make any mountaineer’s heart beat faster. A multi-day ski tour links them both. Every day starts early, often when it’s still dark. There are tough ascents and fantastic descents, requiring both physical and mental stamina. Surrounded by the highest mountains in the Alps, you travel from hut to hut on an incredible route.
- The classic among ski tours
- From hut to hut
- Surrounded by the highest mountains in the Alps
Rest stopsHennu Stall
- Always go with a mountain guide on a tour
- Stay up-to-date with the weather and avalanche status: Snow Report
More information is available in the Swiss avalanche bulletins (www.slf.ch)
- Always maintain visual contact with accompanying persons
- Use key sections and extremely steep slopes individually
- Never go into a wild game protection zone (these are marked and one will be fined)
- Always switch the avalanche transceiver (LVS device) unit to transmission
- Always carry a shovel and a probe
- Pay close attention to daily atmospheric warming and continually re-evaluate the situation
Tip: “Be searchable”. Equip yourself with an additional RECCO rescue reflector*. Whether summer or winter. Available in our Online-Shop or our information desk.
*The additional reflector does not replace an avalanche beacon.
Tips and hintsFurther information & mountain guide agency
Zermatt is car-free. Private vehicles are permitted only as far as Täsch (5 km before Zermatt). The Täsch–Zermatt road is closed to the public.
Onward travel to Zermatt is either by private taxi or shuttle train. Trains depart every 20 minutes; the journey takes about 12 minutes, and ends at the Bahnhofplatz in Zermatt.
Täsch has car parks with both covered and open-air parking – e.g. at the Matterhorn Terminal or privately operated facilities.
Onward travel: see “Getting there”.
- Ski touring equipment: touring ski-boots, touring skis with touring bindings, ski poles, skins, crampons
- Climbing harness
- Backpack, shovel, probe
- Avalanche transeiver
- Warm weatherproof clothing
- Warm gloves and warm hat
- Sunglasses and sunscreen
- Warm drinks
- Snack (high energy foods such as chocolate, dried fruit etc.)
- Food (energiereiche Nahrung wie Schokolade, Trockenfrüchte)
- Bring everything needed for a multi-day ski tour from hut to hut
- 12 Waypoints
- 12 Waypoints