Now it’s time to enter the snowy Arvenwald (Swiss-pine forest). You might be surprised to learn that Arven trees have to reach between 40 and 90 years of age before they can start to produce fir cones. Should you come across a pine bearing cones then you know that you have discovered a very old tree. Walk through the forest until you come to the Riffelalp. Waiting here for you are various restaurants, each with a fantastic view of the Matterhorn. Do you fancy being pampered? In that case the Riffelalp Resort is for you whereas the Alphitta restaurant offers a rustic interior and typical Wallis charm.
Rest StopChez Vrony
Al Bosco - - Riffelalp Resort 2222 m.ü.M.
Alexandre - Riffelalp Resort 2222 m.ü.M.
- Carry a map with you. Download the full trail description with a large scale map by clicking on "Print" at the top right of the page.
- Use only marked trails and follow all signs and instructions - for your own safety, to protect grazing animals and in respect of wildlife.
- Close gates after passing through.
- Be considerate of other trail users, plants and animals.
- Carry additional sun protection. UV rays at high altitudes can be very strong, even in overcast weather.
- Plan your trek carefully: take into account the required fitness level of all participants, weather forecasts and seasonality.
- Weather conditions in the mountains can change very quickly and without warning. Appropriate clothing and sufficient provisions (food and drink) are very important. If the weather is unstable, it is better to turn back early.
Tips, hints and linksAre you travelling to Zermatt by public transport? If you are actively travelling for several days, it is worth using the Adventure Card. This gives you free travel on a large network of trains and post buses for 2-5 days, as well as discounts on mountain railways.
Getting thereZermatt ist autofrei. Wir empfehlen die Anreise mit den öffentlichen Verkehrsmitteln via Visp nach Zermatt.
ParkingZermatt ist autofrei. In Täsch steht mit dem Matterhorn Terminal Täsch ein gedecktes Parkhaus zur Verfügung – unter einem Dach mit dem Bahnhof Täsch, wo du direkt auf die Zermatt Shuttles umsteigen kannst. Wir empfehlen grundsätzlich die Anreise mit den öffentlichen Verkehrsmitteln via Visp.
Book recommendation by the author
Author’s map recommendations
- Good footwear and snowshoes of suitable size.
- Weatherproof and warm clothing
- Sun protection
- Water bottle
- Binoculars (optional)
- Walking sticks (optional)
- Printout of the route (click "Print" to download)