Der Winter Wonder Trail ist eine verkürzte Winterversion der beliebten 5-Seen-Wanderung im Sommer.
Distance 7.7 km
The tour begins at the Sunnegga mountain station. From here you start by following the winter trail as far as the hamlet of Findeln. This is where the signposting for the snowshoe tour begins. It’s worth taking a coffee break in Findeln, or even lunch, because of the top-class catering with an alpine flair. Where, in summer you would see a row of sparkling mountain lakes, in winter you simply find tranquillity. Can you see the snow-covered lakes? First you pass the Mossjisee lake and on the opposite side of the valley the Grünsee lake is disguised under thick snow. You have another chance to be pampered by excellent food if you visit the mountain lodge “Ze Seewjinu”. Going through the Arvenwald (Swiss-pine forest) you come to Riffelalp. When you get to the Riffelalp you will definitely have deserved some fortification. You can choose between high-class gastronomy at the Riffelalp Resort or the cosiness of the rustic Alphitta. From here it is only a few minutes to Riffelalp station on the Gornergrat railway.
For this snowshoe tour you should use the combi-ticket for snowshoe walkers. Included in its price is the trip up with the Sunnegga railway as well as the ride down with a Gornergrat train.
Updated: March 10, 2021
Rest StopChez Vrony
Alexandre - Riffelalp Resort 2222 m.ü.M.
Mountain Lodge Ze Seewjinu
Walliserkeller - Riffelalp Resort 2222 m.ü.M.
- Carry a map with you. Download the full trail description with a large scale map by clicking on "Print" at the top right of the page.
- Use only marked trails and follow all signs and instructions - for your own safety, to protect grazing animals and in respect of wildlife.
- Close gates after passing through.
- Be considerate of other trail users, plants and animals.
- Carry additional sun protection. UV rays at high altitudes can be very strong, even in overcast weather.
- Plan your trek carefully: take into account the required fitness level of all participants, weather forecasts and seasonality.
- Weather conditions in the mountains can change very quickly and without warning. Appropriate clothing and sufficient provisions (food and drink) are very important. If the weather is unstable, it is better to turn back early.
Tips and hintsThe tourist office in Zermatt provides you with brochures and maps on snowshoe tours and on Zermatt in general.
Getting thereZermatt ist autofrei. Wir empfehlen die Anreise mit den öffentlichen Verkehrsmitteln via Visp nach Zermatt.
ParkingZermatt ist autofrei. In Täsch steht mit dem Matterhorn Terminal Täsch ein gedecktes Parkhaus zur Verfügung – unter einem Dach mit dem Bahnhof Täsch, wo du direkt auf die Zermatt Shuttles umsteigen kannst. Wir empfehlen grundsätzlich die Anreise mit den öffentlichen Verkehrsmitteln via Visp.
32T 404844 5096672
Book recommendation by the author
Author’s map recommendations
- Good footwear and snowshoes of suitable size.
- Weatherproof and warm clothing
- Sun protection
- Water bottle
- Binoculars (optional)
- Walking sticks (optional)
- Printout of the route (click "Print" to download)
Duration : h
Highest point m
Lowest point m
Push the arrows to change the view