All kinds of stories are told about the Matterhorn: folk talks, legends, amusing anecdotes… This trail, which presents the world-famous mountain from quite close up, features a series of information panels that cover many different aspects of the iconic peak.
Did you know that the Matterhorn was made by giants from Valtournenche? Or that there were once plans to build a lift to the summit of the Matterhorn (see literature note)? Carved wooden sculptures beautifully depict different themes and stories.
- Idyllic chapels at Schwarzsee and in Zmutt
- Good view of the north face of the Matterhorn
- Information panels in German, English, French, Japanese
- Plan every mountain tour carefully and adapt to participants’ fitness level as well as the weather and season.
- Weather conditions can change quickly in the mountains. Appropriate clothing is therefore essential, along with adequate supplies of food and water. In uncertain weather, turn back in good time.
- Inform others of planned route, and whenever possible avoid going alone.
- Do not leave the marked routes; do not venture onto glaciers without a mountain guide.
- Please be considerate to other walkers and to plants and animals.
- Take note of the warning signs drawing attention to the constant danger in river beds and along watercourses below dams and reservoirs.
Tips, hints and linksAll about the Matterhorn
Getting thereZermatt is car-free. Private vehicles are permitted only as far as Täsch (5 km before Zermatt). The Täsch–Zermatt road is closed to the public.
Onward travel to Zermatt is either by private taxi or shuttle train. Trains depart every 20 minutes; the journey takes about 12 minutes, and ends at the Bahnhofplatz in Zermatt.
ParkingTäsch has car parks with both covered and open-air parking – e.g. at the Matterhorn Terminal or privately operated facilities.
Onward travel: see “Getting there”.
Book recommendation by the author
Author’s map recommendations
- Good footwear
- Hiking poles (optional)
- Clothing suitable for the weather (always carry a waterproof)