The path climbs steadily into the boundless liberty of unspoilt nature. The bare landscape of rock and scree encourages reflexion. Hikers marvel at the different grasses and tiny flowers along the path. It’s amazing that they should survive such extremes of heat, cold and aridity, together with butterflies and buzzing insects. Stones and sand reveal an abundance of colours; minerals in the rock glitter in the sunlight.
The Path to Freedom is also a nature trail with a philosophical theme, portraying the evolution of minerals to life forms through sculptures of metal and glass.
- Sculptures with information in German, English, French, Japanese
- Rare endemic plants (literature note)
Rest stopsRothorn Ristorante Pizzeria
- Plan every mountain tour carefully and adapt to participants’ fitness level as well as the weather and season.
- Weather conditions can change quickly in the mountains. Appropriate clothing is therefore essential, along with adequate supplies of food and water. In uncertain weather, turn back in good time.
- Inform others of planned route, and whenever possible avoid going alone.
- Do not leave the marked routes; do not venture onto glaciers without a mountain guide.
- Please be considerate to other walkers and to plants and animals.
- Take note of the warning signs drawing attention to the constant danger in river beds and along watercourses below dams and reservoirs.
Getting thereZermatt is car-free. Private vehicles are permitted only as far as Täsch (5 km before Zermatt). The Täsch–Zermatt road is closed to the public.
Onward travel to Zermatt is either by private taxi or shuttle train. Trains depart every 20 minutes; the journey takes about 12 minutes, and ends at the Bahnhofplatz in Zermatt.
ParkingTäsch has car parks with both covered and open-air parking – e.g. at the Matterhorn Terminal or privately operated facilities.
Onward travel: see “Getting there”.
Book recommendation by the author
Author’s map recommendations
- Good footwear
- Hiking poles (optional)
- Clothing suitable for the weather (always carry a waterproof)
- 2 Waypoints
- 2 Waypoints