Hikers following the trail from north to south – in other words, from the Ritzengrat ridge down to Blauherd – have the Matterhorn in view throughout. The path leads through the Meisterswang area on the northern part of the Unterrothorn (known as the Rothorn). For hikers, the whole slope has the feeling of a mountain balcony thanks to the glorious views.
The star of this trail is without doubt the Matterhorn. Information panels reveal fascinating facts about this world-famous mountain. Why do people say the Matterhorn is African? How was it formed? What role did the long-vanished Tethys sea play? Anyone curious about geological processes and the formation of the Matterhorn should explore this trail at least once.
- Information panels in German, English, French, Japanese
- Plan every mountain tour carefully and adapt to participants’ fitness level as well as the weather and season.
- Weather conditions can change quickly in the mountains. Appropriate clothing is therefore essential, along with adequate supplies of food and water. In uncertain weather, turn back in good time.
- Inform others of planned route, and whenever possible avoid going alone.
- Do not leave the marked routes; do not venture onto glaciers without a mountain guide.
- Please be considerate to other walkers and to plants and animals.
- Take note of the warning signs drawing attention to the constant danger in river beds and along watercourses below dams and reservoirs.
Getting thereZermatt is car-free. Private vehicles are permitted only as far as Täsch (5 km before Zermatt). The Täsch–Zermatt road is closed to the public.
Onward travel to Zermatt is either by private taxi or shuttle train. Trains depart every 20 minutes; the journey takes about 12 minutes, and ends at the Bahnhofplatz in Zermatt.
ParkingTäsch has car parks with both covered and open-air parking – e.g. at the Matterhorn Terminal or privately operated facilities.
Onward travel: see “Getting there”.
Book recommendation by the author
Author’s map recommendations
- Good footwear
- Hiking poles (optional)
- Clothing suitable for the weather (always carry a waterproof)