The Gornergrat Zermatt Marathon is one of the finest running events in the Alps. Start in St. Niklaus, finish in Zermatt – with the option of racing all the way to the top of the Gornergrat.
For the marathon, ultra marathon, marathon relay and half marathon alike, the number of places is always limited. It’s therefore advisable to register early. The half marathon from Zermatt up the Riffelberg is also highly popular.
- Annual, at the beginning of July
- Marathon relay with 2 runners
- Special “mobile grandstand” train from St. Niklaus to Zermatt
- Option to help as a volunteer
- Entertainment and fair-style atmosphere on the Bahnhofplatz by Zermatt station
Updated: November 09, 2020
Getting thereZermatt is car-free. Private vehicles are permitted only as far as Täsch (5 km before Zermatt). The Täsch–Zermatt road is closed to the public.
Onward travel to Zermatt is either by private taxi or shuttle train. Trains depart every 20 minutes; the journey takes about 12 minutes, and ends at the Bahnhofplatz in Zermatt.
ParkingTäsch has car parks with both covered and open-air parking – e.g. at the Matterhorn Terminal or privately operated facilities.
Onward travel: see “Getting there”.
32T 407818 5114452
- Suitable footwear
- Clothing suitable for the weather (always carry a waterproof)
- Food and water, if desired (there are also refreshment stations along the route)
For changing the range of view, push the arrows together.